What's new
Advertise Your Business Here

Why do you chase storms?

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
Thread starter #1
Some chasers are in it for science (such as those working with universities, etc.), some chasers are in it to sell their footage for money and some chasers are in it simply because they love severe weather.

Why do you chase storms?

I love weather, have since I was a kid, I chase to be out in the weather. I also report to the local NWS or 911 center if I see something that needs to be reported. Not much on taking pictures/video in the field I'd rather have my eyes on the storm as a whole than looking through a viewfinder.

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
Thread starter #3
Yeah, you can miss some of the best things to witness if you're attentively looking through a viewfinder. I had to put the video camera down during the eclipse so I wouldn't miss it. I didn't get much for footage but what I personally witnessed was one of the most awesome experiences in my life :) Good point, Keith!

Originally, it was beacuse of photography. I was looking to make some extra money shooting weather and was pretty successful having been published in books, magazines newpapers & TV... until social media took over and people started giving away there crappy cell phone... I'll stop there LOL. Now it's all just for fun, I just like being out in the weather. The good, bad, & ugly of it.