Advertise Your Business Here

Who to report to?

Thread starter #1
After the move from Eastern Ky to Central Ky, my wife and I are faced with the dilemma of who to report weather events to.

The person who trained my wife and I in association with WYMT-TV in Hazard,Ky forwarded my inquires (email) to a gentleman in Louisville who has not responded to the email from the Jackson weather office. It have been well over 6 months now (I think) and I am wondering if I should just let it go and report hazardous weather conditions to my counties 911 center.

The Jackson weather office gave all of the trainees a toll free number and other options for contacting their office and we were told to not share that number with anyone that had not received training as a weather spotter. That way the phone lines etc would only receive calls for emergencies and not calls like "is it gunna rain today?"

What do I do in this situation if Louisville's office will not get back with me on this? Do I go with my back up plan and just notify 911?

I look forward to your comments.

Barry.

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
911 is often just a middle man as they cannot directly issue warnings and special weather statements. They just merely refer the report to NWS. So I would try to figure out who to contact. Maybe ask on their Twitter or Facebook page if they have one. Usually social media contacts will answer your questions more so than forwarded emails. If the NWS office has a general phone number, you can always call them as well.

Also, consider contacting the county Emergency Management Office, if they have one (they should!) and ask them. In most cases, they would very helpful to answer that question. You might learn that they have a local Skywarn Net as well.

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
If nothing else keep an eye out for any training sessions and attend one as they should give out that info as well. Besides a refresher isn't a bad idea.
Good advice. I need to make it a point each year to attend training if I am able to. It will at least allow me to meet new people in the Skywarn interest group.

I know this would be a daunting task, but I feel this is an important feature to have in this forum site... we should have forum sections that would be directly related to each NWS jurisdiction... BTW, if one should report to the 911, make sure you're reporting a live tornado or actual damage that has just occurred... they don't want reports of how much rain or snow we've accumulated. 911 will get those reports from NWS...

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
I know this would be a daunting task, but I feel this is an important feature to have in this forum site... we should have forum sections that would be directly related to each NWS jurisdiction... BTW, if one should report to the 911, make sure you're reporting a live tornado or actual damage that has just occurred... they don't want reports of how much rain or snow we've accumulated. 911 will get those reports from NWS...
I don't want to make that many boards. It can get confusing and overwhelming really quickly. However, I am open to making pages for each of the Weather Forecast Offices with compiled contact information and such. I'll just need to look at some options to make them organized so that they don't get out of hand so to speak. Maybe a main page with a directory structure.

Thread starter #7
Funny thing is, two days ago the NWS announced that storm spotters report heavy snow and ice. That's the first time i have ever heard them say that.
It was not for my area as our weather channel covers many counties, we were not in that list, just a note though, if you have natural springs that run down your dirt driveway, divert that water away from the road BEFORE the temperatures drop below freezing.

My driveway is a solid sheet of ice from where I park the Jeep to the bottom at 125 feet! lol
https://www.skywarnforum.com/media/img_20171228_140336-jpg.1/full

Last edited:

kd0jzi

Rain Cloud
I know the frustration. I've just recently moved, and was out on a severe storm warned cell. I called in on the local net and got a reply that they could not verify me as a spotter (despite me even giving them my spotter ID) which was no biggy at the time.
After contacting the local radio club with my credentials (contacts from my previous county who could verify me, spotter ID number, local county EM who is a ham and trained me for Skywarn and so on), was told since I'm not a member of the club or trained by them they would have to send someone out to my location anytime I'd report weather to them to verify it.
I told them if that's the case I'll just contact the WFO directly via the 800# I have for them, instead of waiting for them to verify my observation, which delays critical and life saving info.
As far as 911, only once did I ever call them, and thats when my hometown (seen on Storm Chasers 2010 finale) got hit and I was there to see it. They knew who I was so took the call seriously. Otherwise never used 911, unless it's life or death emergency.

"After contacting the local radio club with my credentials (contacts from my previous county who could verify me, spotter ID number, local county EM who is a ham and trained me for Skywarn and so on), was told since I'm not a member of the club or trained by them they would have to send someone out to my location anytime I'd report weather to them to verify it."

Oh my. Their empire being protected. Too bad so many ham clubs forget NWS owns Skywarn, not them. An ARES/Skywarn group in out in Texas got spanked by their ARRL hierarchy for this kind of nonsense.

Keith KC8TCQ

Thunderstorm
I would contact the NWS office that is over the area you live via their business line and ask to speak to their WCM (Warning Coordination Meteorologist) they are typically the ones that oversee the spotter training for their WFO jurisdiction. Identify yourself and ask them how they want you to submit your reports.

Our WFO , besides amateur radio, takes reports via the toll free spotter line, as well as via twitter, and spotter network.

Keith KC8TCQ

Thunderstorm
911 is often just a middle man as they cannot directly issue warnings and special weather statements. They just merely refer the report to NWS. So I would try to figure out who to contact. Maybe ask on their Twitter or Facebook page if they have one. Usually social media contacts will answer your questions more so than forwarded emails. If the NWS office has a general phone number, you can always call them as well.

Also, consider contacting the county Emergency Management Office, if they have one (they should!) and ask them. In most cases, they would very helpful to answer that question. You might learn that they have a local Skywarn Net as well.

During a wx event 911 is usually to busy handling emergency calls to have time to pass on reports to NWS.