What's new
Advertise Your Business Here

What weather events have you not witnessed yet?

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
Thread starter #1
Myself, I've never physically witnessed an actual tropical storm or hurricane. One day, I'd like to but mainly hoping for a weaker storm experience. How about you all? What weather events have you yet to witness and experience in person?

Grouping typhoons & cyclones with hurricanes, then like Keith, a Haboob is about it for me. I remember posting in the old forum that a far as mother nature goes, all I got left to experience is a Volcano. Good luck with that LOL. Of course I said the same thing about an earthquake, until we had one around here a few years ago.

Myself, I've never physically witnessed an actual tropical storm or hurricane. One day, I'd like to but mainly hoping for a weaker storm experience. How about you all? What weather events have you yet to witness and experience in person?
Shawn, believe me when I say that being in a hurricane or tropical storm is an experience that you'll find interesting. Though I have not yet gone through a direct hit from a hurricane, I can say from experiencing some of its effects that there is never a dull moment. High winds that sound like a screaming banshee at times, the sound of pouring rain hitting the roof, and occasional cracking of thunder from lightning is nothing new but interesting nonetheless.

Having weathered storms like Isabel (2003), Irene (2011), Sandy (2012), Arthur (2014), Joaquin (2015), and Matthew (2016), I can look back and laugh at all the panicking people go through. Preparation in this case is a simple matter of getting one or two or however many extra of items you shop for a regular basis and making sure everything is secure, and having your vehicles ready to go when they order an evacuation that makes the difference.

Last edited:
I have gone through severe thunderstorms, ice storms, and half a dozen hurricanes, both in Virginia where I grew up and in North Carolina where I live now. I have yet to see blizzards, dust storms, and tornadoes in action.