Skywarn Storm Spotter and Weather Discussions.

Solar Storm Coming August 17&18th

Welcome to Skywarn Forum!

Register today (It's Free!) to discuss Skywarn and weather topics with other members, create your own profile, access hidden areas, and more!

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
Ongoing solar storm in progress, G1, G2 storm expected 17&18th, with lesser storm following for next few days due to continued to flaring and coronal hole activity. KP5 to Kp6 is predicted with clear skies over Midwest. I can play tour guide if anyone wants to hit Sleeping Bear National Park Area, just reach out let me know you want to meet up. I do believe based on what I see in lasco feeds, this has a mix bag of flares some slow with not much density followed by faster denser flares could potentially create a scoop shovel event , much like scooping snow on a shovel , faster moving flare will push slower winds/ plasma faster and make it denser and creating larger KP values than expected. they predictions have been changing over the last few hours , so I am going to say based on what I see , some of it will miss us but good bit of it has a full halo and is going to make a direct hit, just not the biggest blasts. but it is still flaring and we still have two sunspots and handful of filaments capable of hitting us as well as coronal hole that will impact us for the next 4 to 6 days. HAPPY HUNTING!

Attachments

• SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • latest_1024_0193.jpg
    latest_1024_0193.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • predicted-kp-indices.jpeg
    predicted-kp-indices.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • solar-flares (1).jpeg
    solar-flares (1).jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 0

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
Weeeeeee hhhheeeeee They just raised the prediction up to a G3 storm level , KP 7 here we come. and I have a pretty little dancer to do some experimental shots in front of those auroras this is going to be fun.

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
I started by listening to couple of reputable forecasters, then I got to into reading books and science studies. Kind of have my own groups that do space weather photography now. Sept is turning out to be a rocking month so far. We had a storm at the beginning of the month with a rare View of STEVE that was phenomenal. Forecast was just boosted this week with even more opportunities to see auroras. This is definitely the month to get out there with your cameras!
long-term-kp-forecast (1).jpeg

Attachments

• long-term-kp-forecast (1).jpeg
    long-term-kp-forecast (1).jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
Shawn, head North tonight! my personal number 2318835081. give us a shout if you come. Will be in Empire Sat . night for a meet up. Going to a blast and Auroras will be fantastic.