Skywarn Storm Spotter and Weather Discussions.

How many tornadoes does your county see each year?

Welcome to Skywarn Forum!

Register today (It's Free!) to discuss Skywarn and weather topics with other members, create your own profile, access hidden areas, and more!

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We usually get 1 or 2 a year in my county (Massac County, Illinois). On average. Usually they’re very weak but sometimes can be strong (such as the Deadly Brookport tornado)

How about you all? How often does your area see tornadoes?

Unibob

Reaction score
In my county, they are rare, roughly one every 20 years. Montmorency County, Michigan doesn't often see severe weather. We get more often by derechos than tornadoes.

[EDIT] The northwest corner of the county was warned with the tornado that hit Gaylord at the end of May, but no damage was reported and DNR firefighters didn't report a sighting while battling the "Blue Lakes Fire", though it did cross the area. It is a VERY rural area, the least populated area of an already rural county.

Edited to add information and fix a couple of spelling errors.

Last edited:
  • Admin

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We got a derecho in 2009 that was so bad that there are still trees down from it.

It was a powerful storm. In my opinion, it was way more destructive than a tornado but very widespread.

Tornadocam

Reaction score
My County is weird. Long term average we have a tornado every 1-2 years. Usually ever year we have a few tornado warnings. However, our tornadoes seem to come in cycles. From 2014-2019 my county did not have a tornado, although neighboring counties had them. Then in 2020 my County got 4 confirmed tornadoes in one day.

Here are some interesting cycles
1993-1999 every year we had a tornado in my county. 1994, 1995 and 1998 were very active as my county had multiple tornadoes.
2002-2004- Tornado activity picked back up again
2005-2007 a quite period
2008-2014 ever year we had a tornado. 2010, 2011, and 2012 featured multiple tornadoes.

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
None, we haven't had one in years. Grand Traverse County has a unique feature protecting it. There is a long very deep portion of Lake Michigan that runs from just above Manistee and above Beaver Island. It prevents most of the really bad weather from moving from the direct west of us, as well as some of the weather coming from southwest and northwest. We did get some derecho activity that has come more from the North down over us in 2015 and we do get some moderate thunderstorms. Once in a while maybe a water spout or two. But until that water in that part of the lake warms to a certain degree, it will drain the energy out of the storms like water out of bath tub. If you really want to see bad weather in Michigan Ludington is you dead head , it always gets hit because Lake Michigan from Just north of there all the way south is shallower and warmer. Ludington south gets more tornados and more severe weather than the rest of the state. Upper Michigan as well will get more bad weather , mostly on the western half of the UP as storms move north west up Wisconsin. They don't have the protection of Lake Michigan so storms move through upper Michigan at full strength....
Lake Michigan really does control Michigan weather year round. How much snow we get can be often determined by whether the lake freezes and how much evaporation we get. Traverse City it's self can see dramatically different weather than what other areas see because we have two bays of lake Michigan that are warm and we sit in a bowl. Go two miles out side the City and you will find a noticeable difference in the amount of snow once you get up on the ridgelines. In the summer is like there is a bubble over the City it will separate and push the bad weather around it. Which is why I love my lightning spot. I can usually count on the lightning being at least three miles north of me. I can typically sit in relative safety as the storms move past me at an angle. This year though the lightning has been really different. I have noticed subtle differences in it's behavior. It is more unstable, or unpredictable, not sure how to phrase it. I have seen spider lightning extending so far you can't get the whole thing in the my wide angle lens and I have 15mm-24mm at their widest. I have never seen spider lightning like this in this area before, it is bolder, hotter bolts. Normally Here lightning follows patterns, it will pop in a pocket of storm, another pocket will answer. Those pockets will be maybe five miles wide. Lightning I am seeing this year, is chaotic and not following the typical patterns of normal storms of this area. I am wondering how much of that has to do with the magnetic reversal we are experiencing and start of solar cycle 25 which has onset much stronger than scientist expected it to. Believe it or not Solar electromagnetic energy can prorogate lightning and increase storm strengths.

Attachments

• lake.gif
    lake.gif
    83.1 KB · Views: 0