What's new
Advertise Your Business Here

How do you feel about climate change?

Mike C

Thunderstorm
I don't agree with everything that has been said about climate change. It's being used as a fear tactic to push cleaner energy. Now, there is nothing wrong with clean energy. I personally think we as humans should be trying our best to use what earth has giving us. But when it cost more than your home is worth just to get a few solar panels and a power bank, what's the point?

As for the actual climate change...I believe in a few things.

1. Earth goes through a natural heating and cooling cycle.

2. Sometimes the axis of the earth tilts a bit more the the 23 or so degrees.

3. The rotation of earth around the sun is not set and therefore wobbles closer or farther than first believed.

With the above, I'm not saying mankind hasn't played a part in climate change. To be honest, I think mankind has added it's share, but it's small. From my understanding, cows release more by product that humans do. And if that is true...well I think the blame game needs to stop.

ricbak

Rick
Premium Member
I am not a wether pro, and I Have to agrees with Mike. Ol' Man Earth does go through cycles. I feel that since Y2K made so much $$$$$$$$$ ...
Why not try again with Climate. Al is making a killing for sure.

I also agree, partly just Earth's cycle, partly human contribution.

Graphic by NASA. Looks like a decline in CO2 should start in the "near" future and as discovered by ice core samples the amount of CO2 and temp change in relation to each other.

203_co2-graph-021116.jpeg

I am not a wether pro, and I Have to agrees with Mike. Ol' Man Earth does go through cycles. I feel that since Y2K made so much $$$$$$$$$ ...
Why not try again with Climate. Al is making a killing for sure.
Speaking of Al, was someone stupid enough to give him a Nobel Peace Prize for that film he did? I believe he owns interests in one or more alternative power companies.

well I do agree climate change exists, it has always existed. Otherwise how did we get the ice ages.

That being said. the earth has also been much warmer. Scientists have discovered that Greenland was once.... *GASP* Green. Under the ice they have found evidence of intentionally cultivated (planted and maintained by humans) vineyards, you know, the kind they have in France, Italy, and California. There is also evidence that the north slop of Alaska, you know, above the arctic circle, was once warm enough for sub tropical flora and fauna like ferns found in rain forests to exist. and this has been dated to a time WELL past the age of the "super continent"

There are scar lands/scab lands in Washington State that were formed by the RAPID melt of glaciers causing a flood scouring the soil and exposing bedrock.

These same groups of scientists that are crying "Global Warming" back in the 70's were crying "Ice Age" there were articles written in Time Magazine and other news articles and scientific journals discussing ways that governments could slow down the certain approaching ice age by such means as covering glaciers with graphite powder and coal dust causing the absorption of solar heat to melt them before they could take over the world.

Like everything else, it isn't an exact science, the climate has always changed, and always will in spite of what humans are doing.

That being said, I DO firmly believe we could do better when it comes to not polluting, and using less fossil fuels. However, before we can totally become fossil fuel independent, we need to improve the clean technologies, make them much less expensive, much more efficient, and less polluting. For example solar energy, awesome idea, but producing solar panels creates pollution, they are not efficient enough to supply all of our needs especially in our technology dependent society we have today. Batteries, they go hand in hand with solar power, sun doesn't shine 24/7. Lithium Ion batteries, they are dangerous, prone to fire/explosion if not properly stored/maintained. Wind power, again great idea, but very expensive, and harmful to wildlife i.e. migratory birds. There is hydroelectric, another great idea, but building huge dams also effects the ecosystem, makes it much more difficult for certain fish species to spawn.

I think it is an important issue that deserves unbiased, apolitical analysis.

I believe common slurs such as: "Environmental nutcase!" or "Climate denier!" show the highly political nature of the topic in our to often uncivil culture.

ricbak

Rick
Premium Member
"I believe common slurs such as: "Environmental nutcase!" or "Climate denier!" show the highly political nature of the topic in our to often uncivil culture."...
Oh Yeah, Absolutely ... As a nation we can take a leadership role, but we have a tendency to be a bit of a knee jerk reaction. There are many counties that do not agree or where financial considerations outweigh the future of the earth compared to the needs of today.

Have to agree with Keith. Climate change exists and it has happened, or there would be no ice ages to speak of, and the weather would be vastly different than it currently is, from my understanding. But that being said, all the 'hype' is, from my point of view, a scare tactic and waste of time. It's all a matter of being realistic and asking ourselves things like this:

A. Are the temperatures rising and warmer than in the past 20-30 years? Yes.
B. Are the sea levels rising and posing a greater threat to coastal communities, particularly during high tide events and storms? Yes.
C. Are there things that we can do as a whole to mitigate problems such as this? Yes. (But it's a matter of actually following through)

Bearing these questions in mind, I personally can say that I maintain a neutral stance on the matter. Yes, I believe it exists, but I choose to take a rational and proactive approach to the issue rather than blaming one single thing based on what some people are saying. I prefer to look at the bigger picture, not one thing alone. If you don't see the bigger picture, you could be missing a lot.