What's new
Advertise Your Business Here

Has it been a busy spotting season for you this year?

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
Thread starter #1
With the severe weather we've had thus far this year, I wonder how busy it has been for storm spotting. Have any of you had a busy season in terms of spotting and making reports? Tell us about it.

Nothing to really speak of in my area. Only one instance where the WX net was activated, that I can recall.
So far this year we have had 18 tornadoes in Oklahoma, 15 of them were on 5/2 and 7 of those were in the same county.

ricbak

Rick
Premium Member
Very calm, Some little storms around .. But nothing close or they fizzled out by the time they got anywhere near here.

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
Thread starter #6
What weather? Other than a few days ago when we had a tornado warning, the weather here has been stupid hot.
Did you get some of that Derecho we got a few weeks ago? That sucker brought down a lot of trees around here. No power for 19 hours during heat index warnings. Of course, I have a generator.

Northern Michigan has been quiet, at least in my neck of the woods. We've been going through a pretty significant dry spell, so fire weather is the concern these days. Outside of a few "pulse" storms triggered by lake breezes and outflow boundaries colliding, convection has either fizzled just before hitting my county or initiates overhead, as was the case this past weekend. Small cumulus overhead, severe thunderstorm by the time it got to Alpena, so not a drop of rain here. :/

ricbak

Rick
Premium Member
Northern Michigan has been quiet, at least in my neck of the woods. We've been going through a pretty significant dry spell, so fire weather is the concern these days. Outside of a few "pulse" storms triggered by lake breezes and outflow boundaries colliding, convection has either fizzled just before hitting my county or initiates overhead, as was the case this past weekend. Small cumulus overhead, severe thunderstorm by the time it got to Alpena, so not a drop of rain here. :/
~
I thought you guys up there have been busier than us down here. Been quite quiet.

It's actually a pretty small area that has been dry, consisting of Montmorency and Presque Isle counties. Since I made that post, however, we've had 3 days of slow, steady, soaking rain, but we still need another couple of inches to get back to normal. Not quite sure what it is about this county, but, as I said, convection either seems to split or fizzle out by the time it hits this area. Could be downsloping or a combination of that and other factors.