Skywarn Storm Spotter and Weather Discussions.

Do you follow space weather?

Welcome to Skywarn Forum!

Register today (It's Free!) to discuss Skywarn and weather topics with other members, create your own profile, access hidden areas, and more!

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to learn more about how to follow space weather!

What sort of tips, suggestions, and good advice can you give to a newbie who wants to get into space weather monitoring?

MichaelDoran

Reaction score
I follow space weather mostly at spaceweather dot com for tropical storm and fire condition as it's a huge factor to whether a fire will spot like right now the Washburn fire is spotting horrifically near Yosemite and that's influenced by electrostatics. I did a youtube video on in just now

Last edited:

Unibob

Reaction score
I also follow space weather. I often check swpc dot noaa dot gov, which the official site of the space weather prediction center. I keep an eye on it, when there is a flare, Auroras some times make it down to northern Lower Michigan

• Admin

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I follow space weather mostly at spaceweather dot com for tropical storm and fire condition as it's a huge factor to whether a fire will spot like right now the Washburn fire is spotting horrifically near Yosemite and that's influenced by electrostatics. I did a youtube video on in just now
It always makes me sad when the big trees are threatened by the fires.

Mike, over here in the Shawnee, we prescribe burn our forest. FS tells us that it prevents bigger fires. Native Americans did it first.

Do you think Cali needs to do more of that to prevent the larger ones?

Or would it even matter?

MichaelDoran

Reaction score
My show yesterday was about a warmer paper which describes how the troposphere is warming but not as expected and the stratosphere is cooling but FASTER than expected. The west is drying out and the east is not. Forrests are burning here because the system is dampened and this is where it’s out of wack. Fires carbonate clouds. Tropical storms carbonate clouds. Listen. This is HUGE. I want to do a convergence show on why Minnesota has so many lakes and then a show on why the Great Lakes even exist. There is an electrical reason. I would LOVE to hike with you and do a video on the electrical character of southern Illinois which gives it its particular climate. I think you will be VERY surprised by what I have to say. For instance on Minnesota the glaciers left scraped granite and then there are 3 drainage systems to Hudson Bay, the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico and they act like antennas for large scale emf resonances. The Great Lakes I am thinking about taconite deposits and ground to the subterranean. Anyway you can see how when you look at this complexity you can come up with some novel material. There was a reason the biggest tornado ever went by there in the 1920s and it would be fun to explore that there!

MichaelDoran

Reaction score
Watching space weather right now over BOTH for behaviors and whether or not TD 9 gets named.

Peggy Sue

Reaction score
Yes I do follow dark skies. Actually run Michigan Aurora Hunters, Wisconsin Aurora Hunters and North American Dark Skies. If I am quite not much chance of seeing anything, if I posting time to get out your cameras. Sorry pictures aren't attaching so will have to hit flicker Auroras