Skywarn Storm Spotter and Weather Discussions.

2022 Hurricane Season like Katrina era?

Welcome to Skywarn Forum!

Register today (It's Free!) to discuss Skywarn and weather topics with other members, create your own profile, access hidden areas, and more!

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at this interesting article:

How do you all feel about that observation? I almost feel like a lot of news agencies say this sort of thing every Hurricane Season.

I'd love to see your thoughts!

Tornadocam

Reaction score
2020 was more like a Katrina Season. 2020 was similar to the 2005 season. The 2005 season produced 28 named storms. In 2020 there were 30. Both very active seasons were fueled by strong La Nina's.

Now with that being said the water temps in the Gulf and Caribbean are similar to 2005 and 2020. This would provide fuels for developing hurricanes.

I want to stress though any year even a below average season can produce a Katrina like storm. Before Katrina the most destructive hurricane was Andrew. Andrew occurred in a below average hurricane season due to a strong El Nino. Still, Andrew was a category 5 at its South Florida Landfall.

Will 2022 be like 2005 and 2020. I think it will be an above average season but not that crazy. An average season since 1995 haves 13-14 named storms, 6-7 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes. This year is influenced by a La Nina. This is the same La Nina that produced the 2020 season. La Nina's favor above average seasons. This year's La Nina is similar to last years in that is a weak La Nina. The 2020 La Nina was strong.

Every year I make my own Hurricane Forecasts. I do two a year one in May and the final one in early August right before the peak of the hurricane season which runs from August 15th-October 20th. This year I went with 16-21 named storms. 7-10 hurricanes and 4-5 major hurricanes.

Now could we have a Katrina like storm the answer is yes. Ida from last year was like a Katrina. The waters in the Gulf and Caribbean as I stated are very warm.

Last edited:

Tornadocam

Reaction score
I looked back and decided to look at some of the most destructive hurricanes since Katrina.

2008's Hurricane Ike. Ike made landfall in Cuba as a category 4 hurricane causing lots of deaths and $8 Billion in damages. However, Ike is infamous for its landfall in Texas. Ike made landfall in a highly populated area as a high end category 2 hurricane. The hurricane caused over 100 deaths and $32 billion dollars worth of damage.
2011 Hurricane Irene. Irene made landfall in the Bahamas as a category 3 hurricane, North Carolina and New Jersey as a category 1 hurricane. Irene was a large hurricane and had a high storm surge. Overall over 50 people were killed and $18 billion dollars of damage was done.

2012 Hurricane Sandy. Sandy made landfall in Cuba as a category 3 hurricane. However, Sandy causes most of its destruction when it made landfall in New Jersey as a 100 mph sub-tropical storm. Sandy's high storm surge and large wind field decimated the Northeast. Overall, Sandy killed over 100 people and caused $66-70 billion in damages.

2017 Hurricane Harvey. Harvey is the second costliest hurricane only behind Katrina. Harvey caused $120 Billion dollars worth of damage. Harvey made landfall in Texas as a category 4 hurricane. After making landfall the Hurricane stalled on the Texas coast producing flooding rains.

2017 Hurricane Irma. Irma made landfall in the Antillies and Cuba as a category 5 hurricane. It also made landfall in Florida as a category 4 hurricane, and again as a category 3 hurricane. Irma at one time engulfed most of the state of Florida. In the USA Irma caused $55 Billion dollars worth of damage.

2017 Hurricane Maria. Maria was another Katrina like storm. It made landfall in Dominica as a category 5 hurricane. However, it made landfall in the USA Territory of Puerto Rico as a high end category 4. Maria destroyed over 80% of the territory. In addition, Maria is believed to have caused 3,100 deaths and $90 billion dollars worth of damage.

2018 Hurricane Michael- Michael Made landfall in Florida as a Category 5 hurricane. Becoming the 5th Hurricane to make landfall at category 5 intensity in the USA and Its Territories. The others being the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane, 1935 Florida Keys, 1969 Camille, and 1992 Andrew. Michael caused over $25 billion dollars worth of damage.

2020 Hurricane Laura- Laura was a high end category 4 hurricane that made landfall in Louisiana. Despite making landfall in a rural area the hurricane still caused over $13 billion in damages.

2021 Hurricane Ida. Ida made landfall in Louisiana as a high end category 4 hurricane. To make matters worse Ida made landfall in a highly populated area. The hurricane caused over $70 billion in damages.