What's new
Advertise Your Business Here

2018 Tornado Season

Thread starter #1
Now I know there is really no set prediction for what is to come in 2018 for tornadoes, but I was just curious if you guys have any ideas as to what may happen this year. I'm looking to begin chasing, maybe as early as this season, but if not, I still like to track storms and tornadoes. If you guys have any idea as to what may occur, let me know.
:):):)

Looking at data from the last 18 years, the last 3 years have had high to moderate tornado counts so I think this year will be a weak year at least for Oklahoma.
I am no expert.

Thread starter #6
Looking at data from the last 18 years, the last 3 years have had high to moderate tornado counts so I think this year will be a weak year at least for Oklahoma.
I am no expert.
I'm not sure if I would go as far as Oklahoma, depending on if there is a good chasing opportunity. I am looking to head over to Nebraska or something like that. I have been interested in severe weather since I was a kid. I appreciate that you responded though, because I can't find any predictions on YouTube or anything for that matter.

I am no expert.
So far in 2018, we had 0 tornadoes for the first 4 months and 18 in the month of May. 15 of those occurring on May 2nd. Highest was an EF2.
This data is only through May so we may have had a couple more small ones since then but really nothing to speak of.

Next year will likely be more tornadic. Only twice since 1950 have we had two or more years of low tornado activity. 1987-1990 was relatively low with 23, 17, 20, and 30. The 2005 and 2006 seasons were 27 tornadoes each.

Generally the year after a slow year has double the amount of tornadoes, hopefully it won't be like 2009/2010 and 2014/2015 where a slow year was followed by a year of 100+ tornadoes.