The argument against storm chasing...

Shawn Gossman

Skywarn Forum Owner
Staff member
So let me start by saying that I am not making this topic to criticize those who partake in storm chasing. I am making this topic merely to discuss the controversies of the practice.

There are figures and entities in our society that disagree with storm chasing. Members of law enforcement out west have even supposedly performed special operations to stop storm chasers from getting close to severe weather events. Some folks have proposed laws against it. Some feel it is too dangerous after a few chasers have tragically died as a result of chasing storms.

So this topic is open to many sorts of respectful and reasonable replies.

For those of you who oppose storm chasing, what are your reasons for such opposition and how can you effectively back up your claims that chasing should be disallowed and/or restricted?

For those of you who do not oppose chasing, what is your respectful response to this situation and how can you back up your claims to aid in the preservation of the right to chase storms?

Please welcome yourself to a respectful debate and discussion by adding your two cents in a reply, below. :)

kd0jzi

Rain Cloud
As a chaser myself, I do so for public safety and to learn more about the weather.
One could respectfully argue that Skywarn Spotting is a "local" form of chasing and just as dangerous if you don't know what your doing.
But let's take a look at those killed by chasing. Those were Tim, Paul, and Carl (first time ever). Any and all other chasers died while not chasing.
A lot of advancements in meteorology has come about from chasers, who do it for science. Better warning times, better tracking, greater understanding of how they form and so on.
Now this does not go to say I'm against those that do it for the thrill, or to make a name for themselves. I'm for the ones that do it for the science, and public safety. As long as they are trained.

As a chaser myself, I do so for public safety and to learn more about the weather.
One could respectfully argue that Skywarn Spotting is a "local" form of chasing and just as dangerous if you don't know what your doing.
But let's take a look at those killed by chasing. Those were Tim, Paul, and Carl (first time ever). Any and all other chasers died while not chasing.
There were 3 chasers killed last year near Spur Texas while chasing when their vehicles were involved in a head on collision with each other.
No it was not directly related to the weather but I am sure someone was paying more attention to the weather event than they were their driving.
It is unfortunate but clearly shows a potential hazard and this was in a rural area, chase in a populated area and the potential for an accident increases substantially especially around here where a weatherman or two has been known to tell people to get out and drive away from the storm which led to issues during the El Reno storm in which Tim, Paul and Carl were killed.

I agree though, chase for the science and the public safety aspect.....though I do enjoy the video/pictures.

ricbak

Rick
Premium Member
"There were 3 chasers killed last year near Spur Texas while chasing"
~
Ouch .... Prayers
~
There are a few Who actively "Chase" around the multi county area. That's ok .. I think I can be more useful staying put and reporting back to the Weather Service what is happening within our corner.